SOUTH STORMONT – In the past few weeks SD&G OPP officers have responded to multiple reports of vehicles that were entered as they were parked at residences on County Road 18 (St Andrews area), Rosedale Terrace, and Headline Road, South Stormont Township. Inside, Canadian currency and wallets (containing credit cards etc.) were stolen.
A lone male has been observed in the area and arrives on a bicycle wearing a hoodie and a backpack.
SD&G OPP are seeking the public’s assistance. SD&G OPP are seeking any outdoor surveillance video or information on any suspicious persons that had been observed in the area during the past weeks.
An investigation continues.
The SD&G Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is encouraging citizens to “Lock It OR Lose It” and to take precautions to protect their vehicle contents from theft.
Under the “Lock It OR Lose It” program, parked vehicles are examined to confirm they are locked and that no valuables have been left in plain view. A “Lock It OR Lose It” notice is placed on every vehicle checked which specifies what safety precautions were ignored and simple prevention tips are provided which drivers can use to protect their vehicles and valuables from theft.
By taking simple preventative measures, such as confirming your vehicle is locked and by placing items of value out of sight or removing valuable items from your vehicle altogether, victimization can be avoided.
You can help prevent theft by following some crime prevention tips:
• Always roll up your vehicle’s windows, lock the doors and pocket the key.
• If you have a garage, use it and lock the door as well as your vehicle.
• Keep your vehicle registration certificate/proof of insurance on you at all times.
• Always park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
• Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view. Put them in the trunk.
• Never leave your vehicle unattended while it is running.
ANYONE HAVING INFORMATION ON THE ABOVE OR ANY CRIME IS ASKED TO CALL SD&G OPP AT 1-888-310-1122 OR CRIME STOPPERS AT 1-800-222-8477.