TOWN OF PERTH – If you thought it was gone forever the Civitan Haunted House will return from the beyond and take control of the Crystal Palace in the Tay Basin this Halloween.
A partnership of the Civitan Club of Perth, Lanark County Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), the Perth Site of Algonquin College and the Town of Perth has reanimated the popular event which will run from 06:00pm until 08:30pm on Halloween night.
The installation took three days and was only made possible by hours of heavy lifting by students from the Police Foundations Program supporting Civitan members who created the original concept and ran it successfully for years.
As part of a “Safe Halloween” members of the Lanark County OPP and Auxiliary Officers will be haunting the Basin site throughout the evening.
Whether you come to the Haunted House or choose other locations please remember these safety tips:
- Carry a flashlight and select a costume with bright colours and reflective material to increase visibility to drivers
- Use makeup instead of masks. Masks can reduce one’s ability to see obstacles, vehicles and other people
- Avoid baggy, long and oversized costumes that can be a tripping hazard
- Walk, don’t run and remember to stop, look and listen before crossing the street
- Never criss-cross the street. Cross at crosswalks or intersections. Call on one side of the street, then the other
- Never trick or treat alone, go in a group or with an adult
- If trick or treating with friends tell your parents/guardians your route and when you will be home
- Stay in familiar neighbourhoods and only go to homes that are well lit and that are participating in Halloween
- Never go inside a house to get your treat
- Always have your treats checked by an adult before eating them
Motorists are reminded to drive with caution and be on the lookout for trick or treaters throughout the afternoon and evening.
Following the above safety tips and using common sense will allow you to have a safe and fun Halloween!