PRESCOTT – Sometime during the evening of May 29, 2019 several vehicles were entered into as they were parked at residences on Park Street East, Prescott, Ontario. Thankfully, nothing was taken at this point, however, it is a good reminder to ensure your vehicle is always locked! The suspect was observed wearing a black hooded work jacket with green fluorescent stripes.
An investigation continues.
The Grenville County Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is encouraging citizens to “Lock It OR Lose It” and to take precautions to protect their vehicle contents from theft.
Under the “Lock It OR Lose It” program, parked vehicles are examined to confirm they are locked and that no valuables have been left in plain view. A “Lock It OR Lose It” notice is placed on every vehicle checked which specifies what safety precautions were ignored and simple prevention tips are provided which drivers can use to protect their vehicles and valuables from theft.
By taking simple preventative measures, such as confirming your vehicle is locked and by placing items of value out of sight or removing valuable items from your vehicle altogether, victimization can be avoided.
You can help prevent theft by following some crime prevention tips:
- Always roll up your vehicle’s windows, lock the doors and pocket the key.
- If you have a garage, use it and lock the door as well as your vehicle.
- Keep your vehicle registration certificate/proof of insurance on you at all times.
- Always park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
- Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view. Put them in the trunk.
- Never leave your vehicle unattended while it is running.
Anyone having information on the above or any crime is asked to call Grenville County OPP on 613 258 3441 or 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-8477.