LEEDS – Members of the Leeds County Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) are continuing an investigation after a routine traffic stop for speeding led to numerous criminal charges against the driver.
On November 23, 2019 just before 7:00 p.m. OPP officers stopped a vehicle for a traffic related offence, westbound on Highway 401, Leeds and Thousand Islands Township. During the investigation officers located a loaded firearm in the vehicle.
Erson BUAKASA, 20 years old from Scarborough was arrested and charged with:
· Possession of a weapon for dangerous purposes
· Unauthorized possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm
· Knowledge of unauthorized possession of firearm
· Careless storage of firearm, weapon, prohibited device or ammunition
· Occupant of a motor vehicle knowing there was a firearm
· Possession of a loaded prohibited or restricted firearm
The accused was also charged under the CAIA (Compulsory Automoblile Insurance Act) with:
· Operate a motor vehicle without insurance
· Knowingly use invalid insurance card
The investigation is ongoing.