Mississauga – The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding a police-involved shooting that occurred this evening in Ottawa.
- At approximately 6:15 p.m. on September 12, 2017, Ottawa Police Service officers were working in the area of Bangs Street and Brittany Drive.
- There was an interaction between officers and two males, and two of the officers discharged their firearms.
- Both males sustained injuries and were treated. They are both back in police custody.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.