Tackle the Great Outdoors and Reel in Family Fun
With summer officially here, celebrate the warm weather and the great outdoors by fishing licence-free with the whole family from July 1 through July 9, 2017.
Families across the province can take part in Free Family Fishing Week by finding a good nearby fishing spot through Ontario’s Fish ON-Line website, or by learning the ropes of fishing at one of many community angling events, including:
- Ontario Women Anglers Bass Fishing Weekend for Women from July 1-July 3 at Elbow Lake, north of Kingston
- The Hamilton Bass Masters Kids Fishing Derby on July 8 in Binbrook
- The St. Thomas 10th Annual Fishing Derby on July 7 at Pinafore Park in St. Thomas
- Urban Fisheries Festival on July 8 in Progress Park in Pickering.
- Approximately 1 million fishing licences are sold in in Ontario each year.
- Fish license fees go back into programs that help stock Ontario waterways, conduct biological research and support conservation projects.
- Ontario’s lakes and rivers are home to approximately 160 types of freshwater fish.
- New anglers can borrow fishing gear for free through the Tackleshare program.
- Check out the Ontario Family Fishing Events website for events near you.
- Pick up the basics of fishing with Ontario’s Learn to Fish Program.
- Plan your fishing trip with the Fish ON-Line tool, where you can search by lake or type of fish, and check fishing limits.
- Many of Ontario’s major cities are along lakes and rivers, offering great urban fishing opportunities.
- How to introduce fishing to the first time angler.
“Fishing is a great way for families and friends to get outside, spend time together and enjoy Ontario’s beautiful lakes and rivers. Family Fishing Week offers everyone the opportunity to give fishing a try, and I encourage you to join in the fun at one of the many free family fishing events taking place across the province.”
— Kathryn McGarry, Minister, Natural Resources and Forestry