Mississauga – The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a man today in Morrisburg.
- Around noon on Saturday, December 23, 2017, a man entered the OPP detachment located at 6 Fifth Street West.
- There was an interaction between the man and officers and one of the officers discharged a firearm.
- The man was struck. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.