Cornwall – Twenty-four students from the Upper Canada District School Board (UCDSB) have qualified for the Skills Ontario Competition, to be held May 6-8 in Toronto, after Tuesday’s Eastern Ontario SKLZ Competition in Cornwall.
Five others qualified for the regional competition in Kingston on April 6, and could join their peers in Toronto.
The Eastern Ontario SKLZ Competition is held annually at St. Lawrence College to showcase the value of the skilled trades. More than 170 UCDSB students competed in
16 different events that ranged from two-man carpentry to TV/video production, giving students a taste of the trades and a chance to explore career options. Competition
participants also connected with college staff to discuss career opportunities and their experience in those trades.
Featured Photo: Brockville Collegiate Institute student William Deschamps earned gold in the photography competition.
Students advancing to the provincials are as follows:
• Ryan Feenstra and Jacob Lasalle, Athens District High School, gold, team carpentry;
• Crew Rickard, Glengarry District High School, gold, cabinet making;
• Carter Giff, Smiths Falls District Collegiate Institute, gold, small engine repair;
• Azaria Shams, Emma Thompson, Alyssa O’Grady, and Gavin Watson, North Grenville District High School, gold, drama;
• Veisnavie Uthayakumar, Cornwall Collegiate and Vocational School, gold, hairstyling;
• Tianna Leaf, Cornwall Collegiate and Vocational School, gold, esthetics;
• Jacob Richmond, Perth and District Collegiate Institute, gold, automotive service technician;
• Hunter Coker and Declan Perkins, Perth and District Collegiate Institute, gold, 3D animation;
• Williams Deschamps, Brockville Collegiate Institute, gold, photography;
• Lilly Lewis, Seaway District High School, gold, job interview;
• Jay Gleeson, Branden Quinn and Spencer Ford, Almonte District High School, silver, home building;
• Chloe Hart, Seaway District High School, fourth, prepared speech;
• Austin Campbell, Thomas Selwyn, and Dawson Giardino, Almonte District High School, robotics;
• Zarren Ali, Glengarry District High School, coding;
• Maddy Faubert, Seaway District High School, job skill demonstration.
Students moving on to the regional qualifier in Kingston April 6 are as follows
• Nick Oeggerli, Char-Lan District High School, silver, individual carpentry;
• Siobhan Calder and Kristie Lea Wartmann, Brockville Collegiate Institute, gold, TV / video production;
• Carter Perkins, Thousand Islands Secondary School, gold, welding;
• Aaron Keurentjes, Glengarry District High School, silver, welding.
The competition was organized in partnership with the UCDSB, Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario, and St. Lawrence College.