Name of accused and charges released
Leeds County – Members of the Leeds County Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) are investigating after a driver began travelling the wrong way on Highway 401.
On June 18, 2020 at approximately 2:00 p.m., Leeds officers received information about a vehicle that fled at a high rate of speed when an officer at a neighbouring detachment attempted to conduct a traffic stop. The vehicle was confirmed to be stolen and was last observed travelling westbound on Highway 401 near Cardinal. Officers used a tire deflation device in an effort to stop the vehicle, which continued westbound and collided with an OPP vehicle before driving eastbound in the westbound lanes. Two other police vehicles were damaged as officers were able safely stop the vehicle near Gananoque with no serious injuries.
Sukhwinder SINGH, 27 years old from Mississauga, Ontario has been charged with:
- Flight from Peace Officer – Criminal Code (CC) sec. 320.17;
- Possession of property obtained by crime under $5000 – CC sec. 354(1)(a);
- Fail to comply with recognizance – CC sec. 145(3) – four counts;
- Dangerous operation causing bodily harm – CC sec. 320.13(2);
- Operation causing bodily harm – CC sec. 320.14(2);
- Operation while impaired, blood alcohol concentration (80 plus) – CC sec. 320.14(1)(b);
- Failure to stop after accident – CC sec. 320.16(1);
- Obstruct Peace Officer – CC sec. 129(a);
- Personation with intent to avoid arrest, prosecution or obstruct justice (identity fraud) – CC sec. 403(1)(d);
- Driving while under suspension – Highway Traffic Act (HTA) sec. 53(1) and
- Driving motor vehicle with liquor readily available – Liquor License Act (LLA) sec. 32(1)
The accused is scheduled to appear for a bail hearing on June 19, 2020.
“Driving the wrong way on the highway is extremely dangerous behaviour”, said Acting Inspector Joshua Kingsley. “We had officers focused on stopping the suspect vehicle while others were attempting to slow down westbound traffic for public safety.”
The Ministry of Transportation attended to assist with traffic control and brief lane closures. OPP Traffic Collision Investigators (TCI) and an OPP Collision Reconstructionist also attended assisted in the investigation. One officer received minor injuries when his vehicle was struck.