Mississauga – The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death last night of a 61-year-old man in Perth East.
- At approximately 4:50 p.m. on April 14, 2018, Ontario Provincial Police officers attended a residence for a domestic situation. Officers from the Emergency Response Unit and the Tactical Response Unit were also dispatched.
- Officers encountered a man, contained him on the property and began negotiations.
- At some point, plastic projectiles from an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield (ARWEN) were fired at the man.
- A short time later, the man sustained a gunshot wound.
- He was pronounced dead at the scene at 10:15 p.m.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.