Brockville – Residents are advised to stay away from rivers as the upcoming weather may rapidly increase river flows, and banks might be unstable and slippery. Parents are encouraged to explain these dangers to their children.
Residents in flood prone or low-lying areas, historically susceptible to flooding, are encouraged to closely follow evolving conditions and take necessary measures to protect their property, such as:
• Ensuring sump pump is clear, in good working condition and has a backwater valve on it.
• Portable backup generator and pump.
• Ensuring downspouts are clear and the outlet is at least 3 m from the dwelling.
• Removing or securing items that might float away as flows increase.
• Removing valuable items from basements or lower floors that could be subject to flooding.
• Keep emergency phone numbers handy.
• Familiarize yourself with your municipality’s emergency preparedness plan.
For more info, visit: http://bit.ly/LGLflooding