Brockville – Healthy childhood development is affected by things like employment, education, income, where we live, and social networks, these are also referred to as a social determinant of health, and are a valuable investment for all communities.
Physical, emotional and language skills learned early on in life contributes to confidence (feeling proud), competency (completing tasks) & resiliency (bouncing back from a hard day) across the lifespan.
Why is a healthy childhood a concern in Leeds, Grenville and Lanark?
- The Early Developmental Instrument (EDI) is a tool used to indicate level of risk related to child development in comparison to the Province of Ontario
- In 2016, the Early Developmental Instrument (EDI) indicated that in Leeds and Grenville, children are at increased risk with regards to their physical health and well-being, social competence and emotional maturity as compared to children in Ontario – o 23.1% of children were not “on track” with their physical health and well-being and 28.8% of kids were identified as having a concern regarding their emotional maturity
- In Lanark County, EDI scores, in 2016, highlight that children are at increased risk in language and cognitive development as compared to children in Ontario – o 19.1% of children were not “on track” with their physical health and well-being and 23.6% of kids were identified as having a concern regarding their emotional maturity
The health of children is directly related to the ability of parents to have:
- Enough income (Basic Income Guarantee, Living Wage, secure employment, equal pay for equal work- Fair Workplaces, Better Job Act, 2017) to meet basic needs and provide opportunities for sports, art and cultural experiences
- Access to safe and affordable housing
- Access to high quality child care and education services
Who is supporting healthy child development?
- · Healthy Babies Healthy Children
- · Prenatal Classes
- · EarlyON Centres
- · Triple P Community Service Providers
- · Primary Care Providers
- · Homeward Bound Program
- · Child Tax Benefits (Universal- for everyone), Ontario Works, subsidized childcare and housing (Targeted – based on criteria for access)
For more information: http://www.healthunit.org or call 1800 660-5853
Ask your health care provider
Contact your local EarlyON Child and Family Centre