Brockville – As the weather warms up and the time in isolation adds up, the desire to leave the house and to meet up with friends and family increases. Now is not the time to let up on these precautions.
While certain measures have been eased by the Province of Ontario and some amenities are now available again, the public is reminded that there is still a State of Emergency in effect and the threat has not yet passed. The City of Brockville continues to take this threat seriously and will do whatever is necessary to protect the community.
Based on recommendations from the Lanark, Leeds and Grenville Health Unit, the public is advised to practice the following recommendations when it is necessary to go out:
- Stay home and away from stores and other business when sick. Do the symptom screening checklist before going out by using the provincial COVID-19 Assessment Tool https://covid-19.ontario.ca/selfassessment/ . If you have symptoms of COVID-19, visit a local Assessment Centre.
- Keep a 6 foot distance from others and adhere to all protective measures the store or business has in place. Wear a cloth face covering if the 6 feet distance can’t be maintained.
- Practice proper hand hygiene. Have a supply of hand sanitizer with you at all times. Remember if you cough or sneeze do into your sleeve and not your hands.
Everyone must continue to act together during this time to prevent the outbreak from having a greater impact on our community.
“The sacrifices you have made over the last 58 days since the Province of Ontario declared this emergency have saved countless lives. The efforts so far and those we make in the future beginning this long weekend will continue to be recognized and appreciated. Be smart, be safe, be generous, and be kind. But above all else; Thank you for being on team Brockville.” – Mayor Jason Baker
The City of Brockville is reminding residents that while parks are open for foot traffic to walk through, everyone needs to continue to adhere to physical distancing guidelines.
Brockville Residents are asked to:
- Remain in their homes other than to go out for essential items
- Avoid all gatherings in groups
- Do not travel unless for essential work
- Maintain a 2.5m (6’) distance from others at all times
The City would also like to remind and encourage everyone to follow the recommendations of our public health agency.
- Properly wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Engage in proper cough or sneeze etiquette, including but not limited to covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze and disposing of used tissues immediately
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth
- Refrain from shaking hands with another person
- Practice social distancing of at least 2 metres
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
If you have symptoms of a respiratory illness of any kind (e.g. fever, coughing, shortness of breath, etc.) you are asked to stay home and seek medical treatment.
The City of Brockville continues to review the situation on a day to day basis while we take all necessary precautions towards the spread of COVID-19.