Brockville –Trustees with the Upper Canada District School Board (UCDSB) met on Wednesday, June 5, 2019 to discuss two agenda items:
• Determine a range of strategies to engage parents and communities;
• Continue a review of secondary program delivery models and how a common
timetable will assist in more choice for our students;
• Better inform the school district about ways the board is distributing resources as
part of its strategic planning process;
• Continue to collaborate with groups such as the Student Senate to better
understand the student experience as it relates to availability of material and equipment for their success;
• Ensure graduation rate remains a priority and that students develop the confidence to get their diploma and are aware of supports the district offers to help them obtain it;
• Promote wellness resources available to all staff through the Employee Assistance Program; and
• Report back on the outcome of the four-school pilot project testing a common assignment schedule.
2019-2020 Budget Discussions: Trustees were presented with a budget scenario from the senior staff, that could address the board’s $11.7 million deficit and allow them to bring in a balanced budget for 2019-20.
In reviewing this scenario, trustees agreed to follow basic principles as they work to finalize the budget, including: maintain a balanced budget without additional cuts to begin rebuilding its reserves for the next fiscal year, that Trustees are committed to using innovative practices to address areas where the board has overspent.
Senior Business Consultant Roger Richard presented the scenario, which would include $10.9 million in reductions from program support, school operations, school office administration and central office administration. Another $816,000 in possible reductions are being considered in Special Education. Staff provided trustees with an assessment as to how these proposed cost reductions could impact programs and services at the school and district levels, by grouping reductions into low impact, medium impact, and high impact levels.
Staff will now use the budget scenario and the trustee principles to create a draft budget for June 12, with the goal of bringing in a final budget for the Board’s review by June 19.