GATINEAU – Monday, May 7, 2018
- On Thursday, May 3, 2018, the Acting Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Stéphane Perrault, received official notice from the Speaker of the House of Commons that the seat for Leeds–Grenville–Thousand Islands and Rideau Lakes (Ontario) is vacant. A by-election will take place to fill the vacant seat.
- The date of the by-election must be announced between Monday, May 14, 2018, and Tuesday, October 30, 2018. This announcement signals the start of the by-election period.
- The by-election period must last at least 36 days, and the by-election must be held on a Monday. Therefore, the earliest date that the Leeds–Grenville–Thousand Islands and Rideau Lakes by-election can be held is Monday, June 25, 2018.
- The Canada Elections Act does not prescribe a maximum length of time for a by-election period.
- See a list of all vacant seats in the House of Commons since the 2015 general election.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.