Warning about non-essential use of transit
Brockville – The City of Brockville continues to closely monitor all of our continuing services to ensure both the safety of our ratepayers as well as our staff.
Reports back from the City of Brockville Transit Service staff indicate that there continues to be a number of non-essential rides on our system, including people who appear to be riding the bus out of boredom or to go out for a coffee.
It is imperative that our community recognizes the seriousness of this public health crisis situation and act accordingly.
The Provincial and Federal governments are doing everything they can to preserve our civil liberties. However, both levels of government have made it clear that if the behavior of their citizens does not match the need to flatten the curve, they will take further measures.
The service can only be continued if it is safe to do so and many residents rely on public transit as their only way to get the essentials that they need. Use of the transit service is to access vital resources in the community and should be used only when absolutely necessary. Continued abuse of the transit system will result in its suspension.
All citizens are asked to stay home – stay in- and be safe. All non- essential outings into the community further the risk of the spread of the virus. All outings should be made alone to reduce the chance of contracting or spreading the virus, or with one other person if assistance is required.
The City of Brockville will continue to take all the necessary steps to modify our services to ensure our community and staff stay safe.
The City would also like to remind and encourage everyone to follow the recommendations of our public health agency:
- Properly wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Sing Happy Birthday while washing your hands.
- Engage in proper cough or sneeze etiquette, including but not limited to covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze and disposing of used tissues immediately
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth
- Refrain from shaking hands with another person
- Practice social distancing of at least 2 metres
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
If you have symptoms of a respiratory illness of any kind (e.g. fever, coughing, shortness of breath, etc.) you are asked to stay home and seek medical treatment.
The City of Brockville continues to review the situation on a day to day basis while we take all necessary precautions towards the spread of COVID-19.
Updates will be provided as soon they become available.