Delta – Its that time of year again as the 52 annual Delta Maple Syrup Festival is set for this weekend, April 20th & 21st at the Delta Fairgrounds.
The festival runs from 9:00am to 3:00pm on both the Saturday and Sunday. All you can eat pancakes flooded with fresh local maple syrup.
Cost is $10 for 11 Years and older and $5 for children under 11 years old. (HST Included) First order of Pancakes Served with 2 Sausages ($1.00 for each additional sausage).
Established in 1967, the Delta Maple Syrup Festival was the first maple celebration to be established in the area. In planning for Canada’s Centennial, a small group of dedicated volunteers met regularly in the Council Chambers at the Old Town Hall. As President of the group, Harold Russell worked tirelessly as he contacted every farmer, arranged for sugar shack visits and tours, promoted sugaring off demonstrations and jack wax parties.
Other members of the community who were heavily involved with the planning included Arch Ostrom, Sally Halladay, Ron Morris, Lloyd Sawyer, Howard Jones, Sid Talbot, Glen & Irma Chant. There was little advertising required for the event but huge crowds came from far and near.
In the beginning, the Festival was a three-day event held in March which included feeding pancakes and syrup to busloads of students on school trips. In order to keep up with the crowds,meals were served on both floors of the Old Town Hall. Visitors were able to tour local sugar bushes along with watching maple syrup being bottled and maple candy being made in the Confederated Foods Syrup Plant building.
Over the years, the Festival continued through the efforts of many local residents and Service Clubs before becoming a project for the Directors of the Delta Agricultural Society
Events on Both Days:
- Pancakes & Sausages – Fair Hall
- Craft Sale – Fair Hall (2nd Floor)
- Maple Syrup and Craft Vendors
- Bouncy Castle-Mini Putt-Bumper Balls, Face Painting-Bean Bag Toss
- From Fair Grounds to Lower Beverley Lake Park (weather permitting)
Old Stone Mill NHS
- Tours of the Old Stone Mill NHS
- Milling Demonstration 1:00 p.m.
Mill Drive Shed
Old Town Hall
- Used & New Book Sale & Refreshments
Delta Fire Hall Museum
- Stop and see Delta’s first fire engine
- Sing Every Day with Gerry Mitchell Saturday at 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
Easter Egg Hunt
- 10 a.m. (ages 2 to 4); 10:45 a.m. (ages 5 to 8); 11:30 a.m. (ages 9 to 12)
- Ball Hockey Tournament 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. To register, please contact Brandon Brooker at 613-802-9920
St. Paul’s Church Hall
- Art Show starting at 9:00 a.m.
- Dance 8:00 p.m. – $10.00 per person Music by DJ ‘Brother Juke Box’
Fun For Kids
- Includes a visit from the Easter Bunny From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Twsp of Rideau Lakes Fire Dept Display
For more info visit: http://www.deltafair.com or email email@example.com