Brockville – November is Woman Abuse Prevention Month in Ontario. Join us as we raise our Shine the Light on Violence Against Women Flags and kick off the 2017 campaign in Leeds and Grenville.
There will be two events on Wednesday, November 1st, 2017:
The first flag will rise at the Brockville Police Service on Parkedale Ave. at 11:00 a.m.
The second flag will rise behind City Hall over the railway tunnel at 1:00 p.m.
All are welcome to join us in Action this month against the violence that women and girls experience every day in their homes in our community. Our goal is to turn our United Counties purple for the month of November!
To bring focus and awareness, LGIH is leading the community in 16 days of Action; a Federally and Provincially recognized campaign in the movement to end violence against women and girls. This time of ACTION will be the culmination of awareness-raising efforts throughout the month of November through engaging in two vibrant, purple campaigns. Follow LGIH on social media to learn more about November events and ACTION opportunities!
The City of Brockville has proclaimed November “Shine the Light Month”. The very first public events will be the flag-raising ceremonies on the 1st.
Our Signature Shine the Light on Violence Against Women event this year will be a Port Tasting & Pairing evening with a Silent Auction planned on Thursday, November 16th at the Courthouse Lodge, 7 Courthouse Square. Tickets are available online through Snapd Tix. or in person from the shelter; email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for tickets.
This event will finish with the lighting of our Trees of Courage at Courthouse Square at 8:30 that evening, which will remain lit through the holiday season in honour of our Shine the Light on Violence Against Women Campaign.
We are asking residents and businesses to support our efforts by using purple lights to illuminate doorways, windows, or trees; decorate with purple in your homes and businesses, especially in merchandise or window displays. LGIH has some purple led light bulbs available for purchase, lanterns, strings of led lights, and other items as well.
Watch for more details and events as the month unfolds.
Summary of LGIH Plans for November & 16 Days of Action 2017:
- We are preparing a social media campaign which will offer an action or challenge each day for followers to participate in. Follow our FB or Twitter pages to receive our daily posts.
- Join us for flag raising ceremonies on Wed. November 1, 2017 at The Brockville Police Service, 11:00am, and at the Flag Pole at the Railway Tunnel behind City Hall at 1:00pm.
- Our Shine the Light Signature Event is a Port Tasting and Pairing Evening with Silent Auction this year, on Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017 6-9 at The Courthouse Lodge, 7 Courthouse Square.
- Join us at Courthouse Green on Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017 at 8:30 pm for the lighting of our Trees of Courage.
- We are inviting the community to join us at the Women’s Monument at 11:30am on Friday, November 24, 2017 for a short rally to launch the beginning of the 16 Days of Action in Leeds and Grenville, which begins Saturday, November 25.
- We are selling purple LED light bulbs for $6.00 each. These are perfect for your front porch light or for a lamp in your home or office. Contact Kimberley at LGIH to purchase, or go to River Lily Boutique on King Street in Brockville.
- We are selling a limited number of Shine the Light lanterns for $25 ea. Also, you can purchase mini strings of battery operated purple led lights for use indoors or outside. These are great for decorating anywhere; for lighting wreaths, centre pieces, and so many other uses. Price is $10.
- We are selling purple scarves and neckties. Contact Kimberley at LGIH for info about how to purchase these items. email@example.com or 613-342-4724 ext. 104
- Purple keychains and keyring flash lights are available for $5 by contacting the shelter or visiting a campaign table at a local event.
- Support LGIH and our Shine the Light Campaign by attending the 1st Annual Charity Rocks Christmas Concert featuring Healy & Orr, Easy
Electrified Blues, and Mark Bergman at the Brockville Legion on Friday, December 1 st , 2017 at 7pm. Tickets are $15.
- More information and tickets available at firstname.lastname@example.org. Some tickets available at LGIH. Contact email@example.com .
- We are participating in organizing a commemorative event on December 6th to honour the lives of women and girls who are impacted by, or have been lost to violence. Plan to join us; all are welcome. We will gather at the Women’s Monument, Blockhouse Island 4:30-5:30 pm.