Mississauga – The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a 63-year-old woman in Gananoque last week.
- At approximately 1 p.m. on May 24, 2019, a 63-year-old woman attended the Gananoque Police Service station to report an incident.
- While the woman was in the interview room, she collapsed. As she went vital signs absent, CPR was commenced with the assistance of fire and EMS personnel.
- The woman died en route to hospital.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.