Mississauga – The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding an injury sustained by a 60-year-old man last month in Belleville.
- At approximately 7:30 p.m. on December 31, 2017, officers with the Belleville Police Service responded to an apartment building in the area of Moira Street West and Sidney Street after receiving a call.
- There was an interaction between a man and police officers in an apartment unit.
- The man was taken to Belleville General Hospital and later transferred to Kingston General Hospital, for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.