Mississauga – The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding an injury sustained on the weekend by a 60-year-old man in Ottawa.
- At approximately 11:45 p.m. on Sunday, February 18, 2018, Ottawa Police Service officers attended the Boston Pizza located at 1055 St. Laurent Boulevard in response to a man making threats to restaurant staff.
- An interaction between the man and officers took place both inside and outside the restaurant, and the man was subsequently arrested.
- He was transported to hospital where he was diagnosed with a serious injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.