Additional Red Cross financial aid available for impacted residents
OTTAWA – One month ago, residents in the Ottawa–Gatineau area were reeling from the impact of tornadoes that swept through the region. Many homes were severely damaged, if not destroyed, neighbourhoods were devastated by widespread destruction, and entire communities were without power for days.
Impacted individuals and families who have not yet registered with the Canadian Red Cross are encouraged to call 1-800-863-6582 or visit redcross.ca/gethelp for in-person locations and hours.
One month later – by the numbers
Since September 21, the Red Cross has:
- Registered over 3300 people who have been impacted
- Helped people in-person at three locations across Ottawa and Gatineau; offering shelter, emotional support, information and referrals, food and clothing
- Received generous donations from individuals and corporations totalling $4.6 million donations in Quebec(including $3 million from the Quebec government) and $1.2 million donations in Ontario
Disasters affect people in different ways, with needs often emerging over time. The Red Cross is aware of those needs, and helping to meet them through confidential assessments with families and individuals to assist and guide them along their road to recovery, at the pace in which they are ready.
Needs also vary region-to-region, and the Red Cross is leveraging insight from residents registered in both Gatineau and Ottawa to ensure help goes where it is most needed.
Ottawa impact and insights
- 377 households (1,209 individuals) in Ottawa have registered with the Red Cross
- Identified and emerging needs include support for temporary accommodation, mental health services, food and clothing, and debris removal
- 94 Red Cross volunteers have responded on the ground helping impacted residents
“We know that recovery from a disaster like this does not happen overnight. It can have a profound impact on the lives of the people affected, both immediately after and also months down the road. The Red Cross is committed to helping Ontarians in need as a result of this disaster, now and as they continue to recover.”
– Tanya Elliott, Vice President, Canadian Red Cross, Ontario
HOW CANADIANS CAN HELP
Canadians can help the people impacted by the tornadoes through making a financial donation to the Canadian Red Cross in one of the following ways:
- Donate online to the Ottawa-Gatineau Tornado Appeal – Ottawa Area
- Donate online to the Ottawa-Gatineau Tornado Appeal – Gatineau Area
- By phone at 1-800-418-1111
- By contacting their local Canadian Red Cross office
Canadian Red Cross financial assistance is based on unmet needs, not loss, and is provided on a case-by-case basis. The assistance will not duplicate existing support either at the provincial or municipal levels, or through insurance.
Visual Media Assets: photos and video of the Ottawa–Gatineau tornado response for media use can be found online at our media centre or requested directly from our media team.