OTTAWA –On October 17, cannabis becomes legal across Canada, and cannabidiol — the chemical in hemp or cannabis that doesn’t get you high – will be regulated similarly to cannabis. While previously available to medical patients with a prescription, it can now be used more widely by Canadians for a range of health and wellness treatments.
To celebrate October 17th, here are 17 cool facts about CBD compiled by the researchers at LiveWell Canada:
- CBD is CBD whether it comes from hemp or cannabis
- CBD isolate is tasteless and odorless
- CBD was first chemically synthesized in 1963 by Raphael Mechoulam
- CBD has been a breakthrough treatment for drug-resistant forms of children’s epilepsy
- CBD is being studied for the cessation of addictive cigarettes
- CBD can act as an anti-inflammatory agent, which can help reduce pain
- 43% of CBD users use CBD products in place of prescription medicines
- There was an increase of 70% of medical cannabis use from 2016 to 2017
- Women are more likely to use CBD for health and wellness than men
- CBD counteracts the side effects of THC, like anxiety
- CBD can assist in the treatment of opioid addiction
- There are many types of CBD products available. Internal use will give maximum benefits, while topical use will aid in pain relief and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Some experiments found CBD is a potential anti-cancer agent
- CBD reduces anxiety and can help you feel less nervous before public speaking
- CBD products for pets can help target specific health concerns such as anxiety, joint pain and skin problems.
- CBD helps the human body produce more endocannabinoids, which helps to encourage their therapeutic effects.
- As of October 17, CBD will be regulated similarly to cannabis in Canada.
Sources: Brightfield Group, McGill University, Health Canada, Forbes, Canadian Cannabis Report, The Arcview Group, HelloMD, Statistics Canada, Leafly, Cannabis Consumers Coalition, Meet Harmony, Canadian Hemp Trade Alliance, Orian Research, Care by Design, Hemplucid
As legalization and acceptance of CBD accelerate at a rapid pace globally, the demand for CBD products to improve health and wellness is exploding. The World Health Organization recommended this summer that CBD be descheduled across 194 nations. And in September, the DEA moved CBD from Schedule 1, its most restrictive class of drugs. The Brightfield Group of Chicago estimates the North American market for CBD could reach US$22 billion by 2022.
About LiveWell Canada
LiveWell Canada Inc. is an innovative Canadian hemp and cannabis company focused on advanced research on CBD and other cannabinoids, as well as developing and distributing prescription and consumer health and wellness products. The company has more than 1.5 million square feet greenhouses under construction located in Ontario and Québec, and is supported by business partners such as Canopy Growth and Canopy Rivers. For more information, visit livewellcorp.com